Last year, I posted a list of 10 things I was thankful for on the eve of Thanksgiving. I am of the mindset that it's always important to focus on what you are grateful for, but since it's the day before Thanksgiving, here's this year's list. 1. At his son's bar mitzvah last month, in his toast, my cousin Ross Levine said something along the lines of, "Friends and family are the most important things in life. Everything else comes after." I am sure I am misquoting him, but you get the point. I am wealthy beyond my wildest dreams in the friends and family department and appreciate each and every one of you.
2. Generators are truly things to be thankful for. With no power on our block for 12 days, the generator kept us warm, entertained and allowed us to host others who were without power whether it was for a days or just to charge a phone. And I am really thankful for the electrician who showed up to fix the generator when it died on the morning of Day 9.
3. Apple. Yes, the whole company. My iPad keeps me connected to the office, almost seamlessly, when I am out; my iPhone keeps me and my kids entertained for hours; and iTunes helps me keep it all organized.
4. There's a large group of people here at CBRE that get paid to help me service my clients, keep them happy, win new clients, and educate me on what's going on in the market. While I try to say thank you on a regular basis, I am sure I forget sometimes. Rather than naming them all, I will just say thank you to the Marketing Department, Research Department, GCS, Mid-Cap Toolkit, Labor Analytics, Asset Services, Project Management and the management team. You guys make me look smart and that's no easy task.
5. Mariano Rivera is coming back in 2013. Enough said on that.
6. With all of the damage down the shore and in other areas of the tri-state, I am surely grateful that we didn't have any damage to our home. My family and my family's business, The WindMill, all came away unscathed. I mentioned to a friend that my grandfather, who passed away in July, must have been watching over The WindMill. They said if he really had anything to do with it, Max's, The WindMill's big competitor in Long Branch, would have floated out to sea.
7. The Live Nation and Ticketmaster apps for the iPhone have made it so much easier to get the concert and sporting event tickets that I seek. If you are still using Ticketmaster.com or the phone, try the app.
8. While I was originally skeptical, I am thankful that George Lucas sold his company to Disney and announced that there will be three new Star Wars movies starting in 2015. I was a huge fan of the original trilogy as a kid (yes, and as an adult too) and will get to share the new films with my kids. They will be the perfect age when the movies come out. I can't wait.
9. When my oldest daughter was born, the Giants won the Super Bowl. When my son was born, the Yankees won the World Series. I am grateful that the Giants won the Super Bowl six months after my youngest daughter was born. Had they not, I am afraid the other two kids would have teased her when they got older.
10. And finally, I am thankful again this year that people take the time to read this blog. With the help of my trusted editor, John Yocca, I try to make it insightful, interesting, entertaining, and most importantly, worth your time. If there are topics you think I should cover, I'd love some suggestions.
I'd love to know what you are thankful for this year. Leave me some notes in the comments section. Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!